Seaspiracy – The Controversial Netflix Show
Created by filmmaker Ali Tabrizi, who previously made Cowspiracy, this 90-minute film called Seaspiracy about the commercial fishing industry has caught the imagination of viewers around the world. Ali Tabrizi is the 27-year-old Kent-based filmmaker behind the documentary. Born in Ramsgate, he developed his passion for marine life and the environment as a child.
This Netflix show covers Climate Change, Industrial Fishing, Plastic Pollution and many other important subjects regarding the impact on the Sea humans are creating.
Below are a few of our takeaways from this hit Netflix show. To save you the time of watching the entire documentary, we’ve condensed a few of the key points we took into a few paragraphs and given tips on how you can help.
We all know plastic waste is killing coral reefs and choking marine wildlife. As co-director Tabrizi says during Seaspiracy: “There is a garbage truckload of plastic dumped every minute into the ocean and over 150 billion tonnes of microplastics are already there – they [the microplastics] now outnumber the stars in the milky way.”
The ocean’s main plastic pollution problem comes from the fishing nets and waste that is regularly dumped in it. Apparently as much as 46% of the total waste in the Pacific Ocean’s ‘garbage patch’ comes from fishing nets. Although 46% of this is difficult for the everyday individual to fix. This still leaves 54% down to items such as plastic bags, straws and bottles.
Don’t just fix the problem, solve the problem
Fixing the problem is recycling, but recycling is always the second-best option. Undoubtedly, recycling is far better for the environment than throwing your waste in the bin. Recycling ist alwassy the best solution.
Sustainability – The ability to maintain at a certain rate or level. Being sustainable means buying sustainable alternatives the first time. This could include:
How you can do your part to save the sea
As Ali states, saving the sea directly will link to human existence. All in all, super-powered seaweeds could sequester around 173 million metric tons of carbon each year, about as much as the annual emissions of the state of New York. Essentially, without the seaweed, climate change will increase at a rapid rate.
If you are still looking to have fish and chips on a Friday night, then there are other alternatives you can do to reduce plastic waste in the ocean. Recycling, finding sustainable resources and shopping sustainably are just a few of the ways you can help.
How Bakers Waste Can Help
Bakers Waste can help by supporting you on your sustainability journey. By following our social media channels on Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter you can find several environmental updates and sustainability solutions.
If you would like to learn about sustainability, contact us here .